Architectural Painting Specification Decision Tree  

Guides & Materials: 

The Master Painters Institute (MPI) Architectural Painting Specification Decision Tree method was developed as a result of a request from the U.S. Navy. Using this version of the manual should be easier for anyone specifying paint systems for the multiple architectural substrates (both interior and exterior). The focus of this process is a simple question and answer method to attain the best possible system for a specific substrate. The user will be asked to answer from 8-10 questions for each system.

The paint systems that are chosen using this method are the best possible choices in 80 percent of normal architectural specifications, the remainder or 20% are special purpose choices that would not be considered under normal circumstances (e.g. epoxy coatings on interior composite wood doors).

Supporting Federal Agency: