In this session, we cover high performance HVAC control sequences that leverage ASHRAE Guideline 36 (G36). We cover what exactly G36 is, what the benefits are, and how to screen buildings to see if they would be a good candidate for a controls retrofit leveraging G36. Through field demonstration results from multiple research projects, we show that G36 retrofits can save 25-45% whole building energy use and are cost effective, up-ending conventional wisdom that controls retrofits are not cost-effective. We present market data showing that G36 is already being adopted and that building automation system manufacturers are taking advantage of the standardized sequences in G36 to make G36 easier for dealers to implement and to improve quality of sequences compared to current practice. We will also present two case studies of G36 retrofits.
Gwelen Paliaga, TRC
Upon completing this course, you will:
- Describe what ASHRAE Guideline 36 (G36) is and the potential benefits;
- Understand G36 energy savings and cost effectiveness;
- Identify good candidates for G36 controls retrofits;
- Describe success factors for G36 controls retrofits; and
- Understand how the market is adopting G36.